James R. Hoffa became a Teamster Member in 1934, serving as General President for fourteen years, and, in recognition of his tireless service to the Union and its members, was honored as General President Emeritus for life. General Secretary-Treasurer, C. Thomas Keegal presented at the November 1999 General Executive Board meeting, a resolution to establish the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship Fund.
The James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship awards scholarships annually to outstanding high school seniors. All applicants must comply with the following eligibility and application criteria. Each applicant must:
1. Be the son, daughter or grandchild of an active, retired, disabled, deceased or laid-off Teamster member who has or had at least twelve months of consecutive membership in good standing in the Teamsters Union;
2. Be in his/her last year of high school and may not apply if he/she has already graduated from high school;
3. Be in the top 15% of his/her high school class;
4. Plan to submit excellent SAT or ACT scores for evaluation (U.S. only);
5. Plan to attend an accredited four-year college or university. Those who plan to attend non-academic or certificate programs or community college, may not apply.
Applications must be completed and returned to the Local Union Hall prior to May 31st so we can verify eligibility so we can then forward to the International Brotherhood of Teamsters by June 1st.
Click on the attachement below for the online process.